Tuesday 16 February 2016

Early Victorian Hair

So unfortunately I wasn't able to be in for this lesson due to personal reasons however I was able to pick up a few things from my course mates and after looking at their styles I was able to get an idea as to what I could do at home.

From what I have gathered, women in the early Victorian era kept their hair quite short and around the face. This is partially due to the fashion of bonnets. Many women wore this type of hat and so as not to ruin their hair they designed it so that framed the face rather than being placed on top. Buns and Plaits were still used however I don't think they were done as elaborately.

  1. The first step that I did was to create a middle parting.
  2. I then separated the hair from the top of the ear to the top of the head. I did this on both sides and clipped them out of the way.
  3. The next thing that I did was to tie the last bit of hair into a ponytail and create a bun. I tried twisting the hair and pinning it, however by the time I had pinned it all in, it didn't look very twisted...
  4. I think took out the front two sections and created plaits and then pinning the ends into the bun. I didn't want to plaits to be tight and right against the head. I wanted a slight loop in the hair.
Overall this wasn't the hardest look to do however due to the katie head having rather short hair I feel as though the style didn't come out quite right. For instance I would have liked the plaits to have a bit more of a dip to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment