Wednesday 27 January 2016

Dracula

Dracula

So along with reading Dorian Gray, I decided to try and read Dracula as well. Just like Dorian Gray, I have never seen or read anything to do with Dracula so it is completely new to me. Dracula was written by Bram Stoker in 1897. So like Dorian Gray, the wording isn't that modern making it incredibly hard to read. Also the book is done in diary entries, telegrams and newspaper clippings meaning I can get very confused as to who is talking as there are many characters.

At the time of writing this I am only half way through the book and I am really enjoying the book, and I have decided to base my character around Lucy Westenra. From the description that Stoker has given of Miss. Westenra is that she has an angelic look, with pale skin, and long blonde curls. Admired by many men but held down by a Lord Arthur Holmwood. I chose to pick Lucy as she starts of as human but eventually turns into something from the supernatural. Lucy starts to sleepwalk which at the moment I believe to be the work of Count Dracula and eventually she is able to get out of the house and is 'bitten' by the count but she is unaware of it. over the course of the next few weeks, she becomes incredibly ill and with the attempted help of John Seward and Van Helsing tries to get better. She becomes gaunt and incredibly pale and the only thing that seems to be able to help her is blood transfusions and strategically placed garlic..... Eventually she 'passes' and when the time comes for her to be buried she has disappeared. Coincidently a series of disappearances occur due to a 'woman in black'. 

What I like about Lucy is that fact that she is seen to be a gentle being and very serene and she has suddenly changed into something that is on the other end of the spectrum.

That is as far as I have read so unfortunately I have only got a brief idea as to what I would like to do for my character. Hopefully once I have finished the book and see the fate of Lucy I will be able to get a better idea as to what designs I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment